Let me start off by saying this is not how I saw my 30th birthday going. I wasn’t necessarily going to have a big party or go on a tropical vacation, but I definitely did not imagine that I would be eating cake in front of my computer while my friends sang to me on a zoom conference call. It has been one of the more unique experiences of my life and I’m okay with that.
When I started this blog, this website and my other creative endeavors, I did not anticipate the “safer at home” world we live in today. The months (currently two, headed towards three) of social distancing, reduced work loads and quiet time, but I have come to appreciate it. It has given me time to look back on what I have done, work on what I am doing, and look forward to what I will do. It is a time to take personal inventory and get perspective on what matters most. While I have not accomplished all that I have planned to do, I have achieved a lot and am excited for what is coming soon.
Now in my third decade of life, I have decided to grab life by the horns and go all in on achieving 30 major goals within the next 5 years (God willing, and covid allowing).
- Launch my own website for my creative endeavors (✅you’re looking at it!!!)
- Start a blog (✅the one you’re reading)
- Direct a short film
- Successfully keep a plant alive for 6 months
- Start a podcast (SciFi Chicks is in the works…)
- Learn to play the guitar for reals
- Knit a blanket for my grandma and bring it to her in person
- Get abs
- Start my own vegetable garden (after completing goal #4)
- Grow out my hair for Locks of Love
- Try sculling
- Start a charity
- Attempt to break a world record
- Create an app
- Take boxing classes
- Read 30 books (the ones with pictures don’t count!)
- Write and publish one book
- Go on a road trip
- Have a weekly youtube show (Little Katie, Big World’s production has been postponed due to Covid-19, but others are in the works)
- Buy my own home
- Launch a clothing company (Armor Up will launch later this month)
- Put together a stand up comedy show
- Travel to another country
- Learn to speak another language
- Open my own creative coworking space/studio to rent out to up and coming talent and teach entertainment classes in
- Adopt another rescue animal (preferably a dog)
- Invent something useful and patent it
- Run a marathon (I’m doing a virtual 5k later this month to start training)
- Write a feature length film script
- Be debt free
Now I know what some of you are thinking, that is quite an ambitious list. Well, it is!! BUT, I’m quite an ambitious person and I think I’m up for the challenge. In fact, if you go back through the list and note all of the goals that have a check mark (✅) by them, I’ve already achieved those goals, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
I’d like to challenge you to start your own list of goals. It doesn’t have to be big, you can start with just one goal that you want to achieve and go from there. Nothing is too big or to small to achieve and always remember that teamwork makes the dream work. Partner with somebody, tell someone what your goal is and let them hold you accountable. I know I told my brother about this blog and he asked me about a thousand times today when I was going to post, which was kind of annoying, but it pushed me to do it.
In all honesty, I’m very excited about all of these projects and I am so blessed that you would go on this journey with me. Each person reading this, yes especially you, has helped to shape my path and for that I am ever grateful. As I keep exploring this thirtieth chapter of my life, I’ll keep you posted on the successes and failures that go along with being human. Every journey starts with one step, so here’s mine!